This poem, by Samuel Thrope, is just one amazing entry in the 2011 issue of Mima’amakim: Creative Expression of the Jewish Religious Experience. Now that you’ve read it, why don’t you order your own copy, packed with 96 pages of the best Jewish poetry in existence?
Four Geniza Fragments
3) . . .] who over took us later in Kabul,
4) claiming to be Angels, tried to flatter us.
5) I prayed [. . .] the stars [ . . .] less than their brightness,
6) and miracles: a Snake [ . . .] the river Bl[ood]
7) . . .] their power is mighty [. . .] wings, but flightless [. . .
revealed to me: the secret [. . .] Noah’s flood,
9) and how the Word was shaken, fire [. . .] the cursed,
10) [. . .] we have got Heaven wrong! [ . . . ]ernal City?
11) The best lack all conv[ic]tion, while the worst
12) are full of passionate intensity [. . .
13) . . .] soon no more sin, or death, or hate or war.
14) . . .] we shall not suffer evil any more,
1) but begin again a perfect race.
2) The Prophet’s mista[ke . . .] the Law [ . . .] Moses
3) refused but we will [. . .] the Angels know this,
4) and went up to the mountain peak. His face [. . .
5) we took the shapes of Women; they thundered lust[ . . .
6) are pregnant now, the coming storm will [ . . .
7) . . .] for weeks alone. But Angels must
keep promises. Our Heaven [. . .] beyond the hill [ . . .
9) At last, I see Him now on the next rise
10) . . .] the King! He is the Son of Man,
11) His wings are folded up [. . . His] Glory lies
12) smuggled under his colored coat [. . .] then
13) I bear His child [. . .] unto [. . .] sing a new song [. . .
14) but it tears me [. . .] a Beast [. . .] Something is wrong.